Choosing the appropriate Dog food for your Pet
The right type of food is very vital for your dog to remain healthy and to fight against various diseases and health problems. Most of the dog foods available on the market today are full of preservatives, which are not suitable for your pet.
Instead, it should provide various nutrients needed by your dog. Therefore, you need to consider different factors when choosing the right dog food for your pet. Always remember that dog breeds are different and do not have similar food needs.
There are two major dog food categories, which include commercial and homemade foods. In both types, you need to be very careful to ensure that you serve your dog with the right nutrients. Not all commercial dog foods are healthy for your pet. On the other hand, for homemade dog foods, you should get the right recipe from a Vet.
How to choose the right dog food for your pet?
As mentioned earlier, many factors will determine the right food for your dog. Consider the following when choosing the right dog food for your pet;
- The breed of your dog. Small breeds require more proteins as compared to the larger ones. If your dog is overweight, then go for foods with low calories. The active breeds would also need a high protein diet than the less active ones. Every dog breeds demand specific diet; therefore, make sure you understand what your dog needs in terms of nutrition.
- The age of your dog will also determine its food needs. The growing puppies would need a diet full of proteins as compared to the full-grown ones.
- Assuming that your dog is allergic to any of the food components, you should look at the ingredients of the food product as well before selecting the food for him. Your dog’s vet can well explain this.
- The best ratios of various food components required by a healthy dog are 50% vegetables, 10% grains, and other carbohydrates and 40% of meat. If you could find out the product having this type of ratio, it will be best for your pet. But the vet can access the specific needs of your dog more accurately.
- If your female dog is expecting, this should also be taken into account as she must be needing a particular diet plan during her gestation period.
- Pick the digestible foods. The nutrients in the food must be easily breakable in the body and must be present in the required proportions.
A majority of the dog owners assume that all that is good for humans is ideal for feeding to your dogs. That’s a misleading notion and could easily expose your dog to various health complications. Some dog food components such as onions, chocolates, and white flour are not suitable for your dog.
Before bringing your dog home, talk to a vet to guide you in choosing the right diet for your dog. Get the recipe from the vet, for homemade dog foods. In case you prefer commercial dog foods, then get guidance from an experienced veterinarian.